Yesterday Julian and I put in the most solid day’s work for some time.

We started by refurbishing the rear struts. Unfortunately the saga is not yet somplete on this front – the collars are still too shallow for the struts. This has dragged on for some time now and i’m over it. The immediate outcome is that we’ve boched it for now, relegated it to be worried about later… Like pretty much every other job in the too hard basket.

On a more positive note we managed to rustle up some helper-elves because Jack and G made a triumphant return to the project. They were both given sanding blocks and pieces of primed fibreglass and they ended up having a water fight. Then Sam turned up and things became less productive by the second.

The outcome was that most of the fibre was ready for its first topcoat by the end of the day. More on that later…

Pedal Box

While that was all happening, Julian and I mucked around getting the pedal box put back together. This is probably the only assembly not covered in any vague way by the Haynes manual, so it was a case of test-fitting the brake and clutch masters until the bolt hole lined up, forgetting components, taking it apart again, putting it back together with spacers, et cetera. We finished it eventually (we hope :P) and i took a blurry photo on my phone.

Jack and I were sent to Clark Rubber to buy some brake line to go from the reservoirs to the masters. Unfortunately nothing specific was in stock so i went for high-quality silicon tubes, and with luck they won’t corrode. They’d better not, it cost an arm and a leg, even with my staff discount! We couldn’t fill the lines yesterday anyway, we still have no gearbox and the brakes are yet to be rebuilt, but at least we have most of the plumbing sorted.

Once the light stared fading and our helpers trickled away Julian and i decided it was a good idea to start painting. Experimenting with new paints at the end of a long day in shit light is never recommended, but the back of the paint tin neglected to warn us of this fact.

I did my bucket chemistry (4ish to 1 with 50% reducer give-or-take), and we started to shoot. Julian had it coming up in a beautiful gloss and I wondered why anyone would consider any other type of paint. Minutes later we realised that Julain may have been getting a good gloss by letting it run off the door jams onto the floor. A minor point, and i had a go, resolving to apply only the lightest dusting and letting it dry. I managed within minutes to have the same problem of paint-dripping-on-the-boots. I think we used every four letter word known to mammal, and possibly invented some more.

I fear we may be doing a LOT of sanding and repainting next time we go to work. Mistakes can be expensive both with time and money, but we never seem to learn.

Got Bits

July 28, 2006

At last the order was sent to Turin Imports, and we got our parts today. Brake and clutch mostly, I think there’s a list somewhere on this site… maybe i’m lying though.
I picked up the white topcoat too, and tried to find a pinstriping tool. Trust me to try and overcomplicate everything! I thought that white with a red stripe down each side won’t look quite period enough, so i want to put a gold pinstripe around the red. Wish me luck! Cost of 4 litres White 2 pack with reducer: $125

We’re going to put some hours in on Sunday, probably going to hang the doors and paint the door jam’s (spelling?) white. Currently the whole car is primed, might need another coat in some spots before we jump to with the wet-and-dry before the topcoat.

Julian also made a trip to Peter’s to change over some suspension parts that we’d already bought from him which ended up the wong size. We also need a gearbox, and then she will move under her own steam.

Hopefully the gratuitous spending of money will cease just long enough for me to afford to get my daily back on the road. It’s at the panel beaters at the moment after an incident outside uni almost 2 months ago.

2pac

July 19, 2006

Really got some primer cooking today.

P1000033

Bought 4 litres of 2pac iso freeish primer and got to work. This stuff is pretty good. It dries up within 20 minutes and it’s COLD today. Just the ticket to get this car done before summer. Got a fair amount of sanding and spraying done before visitors turned up in the form of Sam and a vivacious Danni.

Now we have the primer we just need the topcoat! Waiting on the paint shop to get some reducer in. Should look white soon.

bog dust

July 11, 2006

Julian and I got white line fever today, and not the sort that costs you $50 from a crazy south american with a silk shirt…

Today consisted of more of the previous; that is body bog, sanding, inhaling, repeated ad nauseum. The good news is the doors are 75% there, and the top of the front quarter panels are starting to resemble a real car. This is good.

We hope to put the bloody brake and clutch order thorough later this week at long last. Might be getting some schmick wheels too with a little luck. I could be wrong but i think they’re 13×7’s (i’ll get told i’m wrong soon, just you wait).

The upshot of the whole thing is that once the brakes and clutch are in, it will go. Also once the front is sorted we can spray it, along with the doors. Then we have to be at the island in 7 weeks. Certainly do-able, just wish us luck.

Scratching away

July 9, 2006

Haven’t got to the car for over a week…Davo went away and I managed to get sick.This thing has to be ready to hit the track in 7 weeks! I was itching to work on the car during the week, when I started work today I was itching again. Bloody fiberglass.

Anyway somemore bodywork was squared away, should be ready to shoot the primer on the front half of the car within a week!

P1000023

P1000026

Italy vs France tonight, Forza Italia!