Pinned to the bonnet

January 21, 2007

We’re up to the stage where the little things take all our time. I called several suppliers for bonnet pins, and scoured the interweb. The cheapest i could find were going to set us back $20 per pair. Because we have fibreglass panels we would require 5 pairs, 10 pins in all – grand total $200. Needless to say, I spent a morning at the factory making the bonnet pins. Materials set us back $45, and 2 hours of my time (they could have taken one hour, but i seemed to break every machine i looked at).

So now they’re installed. As are the rubber seals around the door, and the front spoiler hangers (made months ago now). We also called in at John’s and got all the components for the headlights. We were originally not going to bother with the lights, but as we’ve decided to CH (club road register) the car, we need them to get a roadworthy. In the mean time, here’s some proof that the car’s actually white. Yes, Ash is quite tall. And yes, the car is quite small.

So, prepare and paint the headlight buckets, wire them up, mount the indicators, plumb the radiator and fuel lines properly, bleed the brakes and clutch and put a seat in it. Bob’s your mothers brother. There is other things, but our deadline is to have this roadworthy before the end of January. We’ll see…

Advertisements

pass the sunglasses

January 15, 2007

There haven’t been any updates here for awhile, christmas got in the way and it’s been too hot to sit at the computer and type. Too hot to work on the car as well…but that hasn’t stopped us. It’s finally all white, with no runs! The paint job isn’t the greatest but it’s done, and from 5 meters away in the sun you couldn’t tell. This thing is BLINDINGLY white.  (will pop some photos up later in the week, left the cameras at home today)

Today the windscreen got fitted and it looks awesome, no chrome surround. I think we may have a car on out hands.

We also picked up some allthread and ‘r’ clips to make up some bonnet pins later in the week, after getting quoted over 200 dollars for 10 pins we thought a bit of time on the lathe was in order. Should turn out alright.

After thats all done the clutch and brakes have to be bled and re-bled and she’s off down the street for a shakedown and roadworthy. Fingers crossed it happens really soon.