I’ll let the picture speak for itself.

Yes, we have bought a seat and harness. The seat was a deal from Coxy’s Motorsport Spares in Bundoora, a Sparco Tec. Its features are it’s fiberglass, red and very light. The harness is a cheap(ish) Autotechnica, but it is FIA approved, so in theory it’s no worse than its similarly approved more expensive counterparts. All up $800 for the pair.

It took us 2 half days to install them properly, test fitting it piece by piece to make sure we had all of the holes and measurements right before we declared it finished at around 1pm today. We had to grind off the seat rails to make sure the seat sat low enough in the car that I could have a tiny bit of headroom with a helmet. It’s pretty close even with the modifications…

Julian’s also been thinking about the electrics, installing the essentials for our first outing. Most importantly, we’re still on track for the deadline.

Advertisements

Motion!

July 16, 2007

I write this landmark post still slightly drunk on the success of today. The Dallara moved under its own steam for the first time this afternoon at around 4:30. We pushed it out, the engine took the first time, warmed it up for a minute and Julian let off the clutch. Forward motion was the immediate result. Then he stalled it. I have a video of it, which will find its way onto this site as soon as I can convert it to a net friendly format… Yes. We are excited.

We’d spent the formative hours swapping out crappy suspension bolts on the front end, aligning the bonnet, adding secondary throttle springs, polishing off the battery mount, fitting the air filter, trying to solve the catch tank dilemma and other miscellaneous small jobs that have found their way onto our ever evolving list of stuff that has to be done. These things include: buying a seat and harness, bleeding the brakes and then a hundred small things. I don’t think I’m going to sleep tonight.

We’re back on it

July 13, 2007

AND we have a deadline. Again. Yes, I’m well aware that we, like the good university students we are, have failed to meet our previous few deadlines, but we will this time. I promise.

Firstly, we’ve been overseas for the past 5 weeks. Seeing Roman streets filled with all manner of Italian vintage antiquities (and more Fiat 500’s than I ever knew existed), meant that not a day went past without talk of what needed to be done. The clutch was obviously first on the list, followed by brakes, wheels, seat, harness and petrol. Then it goes. I promise.

One of the interesting points of the trip that i can divulge on this family friendly blog is that we were stoked to find the ONLY X1/9 of the trip in a car museum. It was a place about 2 hours from Nice that Julian’s relatives took us to as a part of our cultural induction to France, and it was not unlike Dutton’s in Richmond in that as far as we could tell, all the cars on display were for sale.

6,500 Euros will get you this bad girl, “with spares”. That equates to roughly AUD $10,400, which isn’t a lot of car for your money unless it’s hiding something special under that crappy paint job. Which the description claimed it didn’t. So they were dreaming.

So, to the progress we have been making since our triumphant return. After a tip off from John before we fled the country, we had another look at the gearbox and turned a couple of things around. The result is that we have finally and completely fixed the clutch. It’s bled. It works. I nearly cried. We also fabricated some more bits to replace some entirely inappropriate washers we decided to use under the engine mount. Peace of mind stuff.

Next item on the list is to bleed the brakes, then go shopping. We’ve decided that nothing is more important than getting this car finished before the said deadline. We will meet it!